PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : HyperVM & Kloxo gaan opensource

fyver
12/07/09, 17:16
Nu dat de ontwikkelaar van Lxlabs zelfmoord heeft gepleegd en de famillie het niet wil over nemen gaan lxlabs waarschijnlijk opensource gaan met closed source in het begin om meer bugs te fixen.

Dit staat al een tijdje op hun forum:

Hello friends
Let me introduce myself first. I am Ligesh's cousin and I have been asked to see what best we can do for the customers of LxLabs.
To set some context, let me re-iterate that the organization LxLabs ceases to exist since it was a one-man show led by Ligesh. Ligesh's father is quite busy with his own business and has no inclination to take this business forward. At the same time, we would like to do the best we can to help the customers of Ligesh. This is where I came in.

I have two objectives:
1. Try to see what best can be done for the existing customers of LxLabs
2. Ensure that no one party unfairly benefits from the sterling work that Ligesh has done.

In the last few weeks, I have been trying to see if we can transition the assets of LxLabs to another organization. The idea was that this will ensure that current security issues in HyperVM and Kloxo are fixed quickly and customers will continue to get dedicated, professional support & updates. However, I have not been successful.

In the light of this situation, I have decided that it makes most sense to move the source code to Open Source. This is also as per Ligesh's wishes. However, I have observed that several of you are apprehensive about throwing open this code for general access before we have had a chance to fix the known (and hidden) security issues.

After some thought, I propose the following:
1. The rights to the source code shall be transferred to a private community or "consortium" (the word consortium meaning "an association of two or more individuals, companies, organizations or governments (or any combination of these entities) with the objective of participating in a common activity or pooling their resources for achieving a common goal", best describes my intent, I think)
2. The consortium shall host the source code to the HyperVM/Kloxo software on private archive servers, where access to the source code is allowed only to the consortium members.
3. The consortium shall maintain and manage the hosting of license servers and other infrastructure needed to support operations
4. The consortium members shall pledge development support to solve security issues in the HyperVM/Kloxo software. All security fixes and enhancements made on these software shall be brought back to the shared archive so that everyone can benefit from the fixes.
5. Existing customers, registered before June 09, who pledge to provide development support, get a chance to join this consortium. I suggest that Bhargava and I shall also be members of the consortium.
6. The consortium shall, within 12 months from inception, create a new domain name for itself and transfer the licensing & distribution of the products to this new domain name (idea being formal closure of lxlabs domain)
7. The consortium shall, within 24 months from inception, release the complete source code to Open Source.
8. I am not sure what the thoughts are on access to membership and hence access to the source code. I do not claim to understand the dynamics here. If it is best to have a "not-very-large" community that has access, and if some motivation is needed to induce developers to join in, then I can think of some additional points:
8a. The consortium can grant membership to new people who want to join in
8b. A joining fee can be levied. This will discourage non-serious members from joining in. 'Large' Customers and memebers who have been very active on the forums can be exempt. The amount collected in this manner can be used to pay for hosting and other operational expenses.
8c. All license revenue will go to the consortium
8d. A portion, say 50%, of any revenue shall be given to a charity as chosen by Ligesh's family. The rest can be utilized by the consortium.

Since I do not claim to be an expert on open source development, I would recommend that the consortium elects a leader who can drive this initiative.

Please let me know your thoughts/ ideas on this approach. Let us refine it a bit together. I am sure, Bhargava, who has been very helpful in this phase, will help in operationalizing any approach we choose.

Last, but not the least, let me apologize for keeping all of you waiting for this long. To be frank, this exercise has found me a little out of my depth. I regret the inconvenience caused to you by delays in my decision making. I would also like to appreciate each and every one of you for the extremely mature way in which you have handled this crisis affecting LxLabs and your organization.

Thanks and regards
Brijesh

bron:http://forum.lxlabs.com/index.php?t=msg&th=12609&start=0&

Laten we hopen dat ze alles vlug fixen dat het opensource kan gaan!