PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Looking for a good NL server (SwiftWay?)

j0k3r
18/05/09, 22:52
Hello!
Yes, I'm just another non-EU citizen looking for a good server in EU. I think that NL is great for EU server :)

I've already servers with LeaseWeb and Ecatel for some projects.. Now I need a new one, a special one - for a project that I do really LOVE.

I hope you can help me a little bit ;)

Now we are using:
2 * Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2218 (cache size: 1024 KB :()
4 Gb RAM
2 * 73 SCSI HDDs in software RAID1
<2 Tb bandwitch
for ~210 eur/mo

Who we are?
http://funkysouls.com
http://forum.funkysouls.com

We DO NOT host any illegal material, we DO NOT host bittorrent tracker at that server.
To make it simple (very simple) and clear: site with links to forum. Forum has (and will have) links to rapidshare/megaupload/etc/etc. User generated content, of course, but there might be (and, to be honest WILL be) links to copyrighted material. As far as I know, linking is not perhibited by Dutch law, so I see no problem - but I know that I should inform you about that.

Our forum has
Topics: 100.000
Users: 700.000
Online users: 1200 (max: 1700)

I'm not sure with what we need, but:
>= Quad Core Xeon
>= 4 Gb of RAM
>= 2 * 146 Gb SAS HDDs (4*73 Gb HDDs in RAID10 will be also good)

We don't currently have any Xeons in stock.

Dino got no new servers in LeaseWeb's DC - they are out of stock

As for LW - they got too high prices

- Dual QuadCore Xeon 5320
- 8GB DDR2 FB-Dimm
- 2x 74GB SA-SCSI (15,000RPM)
- H/W RAID Controller 0/1
- 2,000GB Traffic
- 1Gbps uplink

Only €199/m, Free setup (3 month term)

- Dual QuadCore Xeon 5320
- 8GB DDR2 FB-Dimm
- 2x 147GB SA-SCSI (15,000RPM)
- H/W RAID Controller 0/1
- 2,000GB Traffic
- 1Gbps uplink

Only €199/m, €199 setup (3 month term)

If you are looking for SA-SCSI, this is only compatible with dual xeon servers.

Dell r200 Quad core 2.13
4gb ddr ram
2x146gb SAS in raid 1
1x RAID controller

2500 GB

Price per month: € 275,-
If you pay 3 months in advance I can offer the server for € 260,- p/m
If you pay the server 6 months in advance I can offer you the server for € 250,- p/m

Default setup costs: € 100,- (because of custom HDD and raid)
Setup will be 50% less when you pay 6 months in advance.

Dell R200
Quad Core Intel® Xeon® X3350, 2.66GHz, 2x6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB
4GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz Memory
2 * 146GB 15,000rpm SAS
141 eur/mo

2 x Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5335, 2x4MB Cache, 2.0GHz, 1333MHZ FSB
4GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz Memory
2 * 146GB 15,000rpm SAS
219 eur/mo

+ APC powerunit remote reboot 5 eur/mo
+ Hardware RAID 5 eur/mo

I think I should choose first option from SwiftWay (+ APC and hardware RAID .. may be, * Gb or RAM) - how do you think?

chielsen
19/05/09, 01:37
About linking to illegal content allowed by dutch law, i think you are wrong. Many sites have been taken / gone offline because of that.

j0k3r
19/05/09, 07:54
About linking to illegal content allowed by dutch law, i think you are wrong. Many sites have been taken / gone offline because of that.

Hello.
I know about torrent sites and LeaseWeb.
But I see nothing illegal in user generated links.

Triloxigen
19/05/09, 10:29
Hello.
I know about torrent sites and LeaseWeb.
But I see nothing illegal in user generated links.

Almost the same story as torrents

j0k3r
19/05/09, 11:12
Almost the same story as torrents

Search engines and social sites are forbidden in NL?
To be honest I can't remember that I have received any complains in the past year.

NedBoys
19/05/09, 11:20
To be honest I can't remember that I have received any complains in the past year.

No,linking to copyright products are forbidden. Downloading from copyright products is "legal".

Triloxigen
19/05/09, 11:20

Search engines aren't always forbidden, but just as almost every other country it is forbidden to help illegal activities.
The website ZoekMP3.nl (translated as SearchMP3) was accourding to the judge illegal.

Apoc
19/05/09, 11:23
So what is your question exactly? What kind of advice are you looking for? I mean, you have yourself a bunch of quotes, you know what you need, you indicated/implied that you are looking for the lowest price, so what are you asking for now exactly? Everyone here won't be able to add more except an indication of their personal preference with specific providers.

I'm just wondering: your website is Russian and you are looking to host something that is borderline legal - why don't you just host it in Russia?

j0k3r
19/05/09, 11:33
NedBoys

No,linking to copyright products are forbidden.
That's a user generated link, by the way.. I won't check it if it leads to anything legal or not.

Apoc

So what is your question exactly? What kind of advice are you looking for? I mean, you have yourself a bunch of quotes, you know what you need, you indicated/implied that you are looking for the lowest price, so what are you asking for now exactly?
I've got several questions: is it OK to be hosted in NL? Is that deal from SwiftWay good (price)? And (if you can help me) is that configuration good for me (hardware specs)?

Everyone here won't be able to add more except an indication of their personal preference with specific providers.
That would be nice.

I'm just wondering: your website is Russian and you are looking to host something that is borderline legal - why don't you just host it in Russia?
We've got a lot of visitors from over the World and lots from EU, so I'm looking for better uplinks/infrastructure/etc.

Triloxigen
19/05/09, 11:39
That's a user generated link, by the way.. I won't check it if it leads to anything legal or not.

It doesn't matter who posted it, even if it was posted by the queen of england it is still illegal ;)

The extra downside is that you are responsible of what others post.